St. Cuthbert’s Church Boyerstown was built in 1833 by Parish Priest, Fr. Joseph Kennedy and the original National School now the Munchkins Montessori School built in 1887, even though a school existed close to the present site with records reaching back to the late 1850’s. In 1954 the first part of our present school building was built where our hall was sectioned into two classrooms with Master McElroy teaching the pupils from 3rd to 6th. The four classrooms that now are used for teaching our mainstream classes were built in the Late 1970’s. Over the last few years our old store room was converted to extend our learning support/resource room to accommodate computer and internet facilities, a cooking area, resource and teaching material storage and a spacious teaching area. In 2006 we annexed a new staffroom and library/resource room onto our school. The appointment of an extra teacher in 2009 due to an increase in our pupil numbers saw the inclusion of a prefab to the back of the school. Our long awaited dream of having our own school pitch came to reality in 2016 when ‘Páirc na nÓg’ was officially opened in the school grounds. This was a tremendous achievement for our school and community. It involved endless fundraising and planning, and the wider school community were very active in this process. We now have a very large green area on which teams can train, matches are played, children can explore, sports days are held, and school events can be better accommodated. Our school garden is located at the entrance to the school pitch and is carefully maintained by Montessori Teacher Fiona Rochford and by the pupils of the school.
We have two vegetable patches to the rear of the school where we grow strawberries, carrots, onions and other seasonal vegetables. We are proud of our school and its grounds. We appreciate the efforts of people past and present who helped to give us what we have here today in our school and we aim to maintain and develop it to the best of our ability.